Sunday, May 8, 2011

What a Day!

Today has been an interesting day. The day began as every Sunday does, 7:30am sacrament meeting. After that Sister Farmer and I had the chance to do some missionary work here at Temple Square before a couple of us headed to speak at a local branch. The branch is called the Orange Street branch and those that attend it are women from the Orange Street Halfway House in Salt Lake.

Wow. These women have been through a lot in their lives, many out of prison for only a few months, but they are trying to do better, to become closer to their Savior, to live greater lives. To these women that have been through things in life that I pray I never have to experience I had the chance of sharing the thing that can make it better, the Atonement. I shared with them what the Savior did for them, how He felt every temptation, every hurt, every addiction that they have ever felt so that He can truly comfort them in their time of need.

Being at the Orange Street branch was a humbling experience. I was so better able to look past their appearance, past their history, to look at who they truly are to the Savior-daughters that are trying to know Him better, to feel His presence in their lives. I hope to always be able to look at others for who they really are, children of a loving Father in Heaven, precious beyond anything in this world, worth more than all the gold and silver combined.

To say the least I was a tad bit spiritually exhausted after our trip to Orange Street- but the reward in a change of perspective made everything worth it.

After we had the chance to call home to our families. My family made sure to fill me in with details of their lives and the exciting things they are experiencing... including the new Harry Potter movie. My mother threatened to send me a copy and I begged her not to-don't want to break mission rules. I love my family, it made me feel even more blessed, even more grateful. Indeed it made me want to work extra hard in the short time I have left to serve the Lord in this capacity.

So, what a day! What a wonderful, exhausting, spiritually uplifting Sabbath Day.
Wow, I'm so happy to be where I am right now. The Gospel is true and only through our Savior Jesus Christ can we find everlasting peace and happiness. I promise you that it is available.


Matthew 11:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment