Saturday, April 9, 2011

Baptism


I remember the day I was baptized like it was yesterday. My parents had finally given me permission. After over a year of wanting and waiting to be baptized, they called me into their room and said I could do it. They'd support me. I broke down crying I was so happy.


The day finally came. September 30, 2006. As I walked into the font I burst into tears. Honestly, I couldn't stop sobbing the whole time-I couldn't believe that it was finally happening. Being baptized by immersion under the proper priesthood authority is the most amazing thing. You go down under the water and come out a new person in Christ; bury your old self and you are new in your Savior.


The Book of Mormon illustrates how important this doctrine is. In 3Nephi 11 when Christ came to visit His people on the ancient American continent He quickly began to teach them about baptism.


"And again the Lord called others, and said unto them likewise; and he gave unto them power to baptize. And he said unto them: On this wise shall ye baptize; and there shall be no disputations among you."


The Savior knows how important it is for us to be baptized. He was baptized by John the Baptist to fulfill all righteousness. He knows that when we do so under the proper authority as He did we become literal members of His Church. In 3Nephi He said "there shall be no disputations among you" and in Ephesians we learn that there is "One Lord, one faith, one baptism".


What a privilege it was for me to be baptized a member of Jesus Christ's Church. When we are baptized we promise to take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ. Let us exemplify our Savior in all our words and deeds. Let us represent Him well. Let us bring others to this truth and happiness.

1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful that you have such wonderful parents who allowed you to do this. :) I love reading your testimony and I know that you will bring "many souls" to our Savior through sharing your testimony. Much love!- Sis Hunter

    ReplyDelete