Thursday, April 28, 2011

Who do we serve?

This week in my studies I came across a scripture in Mark that really struck me.
Mark 15:15- "And so Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified."

I couldn't stop thinking about it for the longest time. Knowing the innocence of Christ yet wanting to please the people Pilate released Barabbas, a murderer, and sent Christ to be crucified. Think about that for 10 more seconds. Really, think about that. Wanting to please the world Pilate killed the Son of God, our Savior, even Jesus the Christ.

Judas Iscariot.
"Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests,
And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver.
And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him."
(Matthew 26:14-16)

For thirty pieces of silver Judas betrayed the Savior. Thirty pieces of silver.

Betraying Christ to the chief priests, releasing a murderer and condemning Jesus to death. Being in the exact same situation as Pilate or Judas isn't likely to occur to us. Yet, everyday in life we make decisions regarding who we serve. Do we serve Christ, do we follow Him and do as He would do? Or, do we serve man? Do we strive to please man ignoring the promptings of the Spirit, ignoring our better judgement?

Of course, in the scriptures we see examples of those that chose to follow the Savior, that chose to suffer great afflictions rather than forsake what they knew to be right and true.

Abinadi.
Noah.
Joseph.


When making a decision I challenge you to reflect, who am I serving? Is this wrong? Is this right? Is this straddling a line I shouldn't be straddling.


While you are contemplating this remember the counsel from a wise prophet in the Book of Mormon, King Benjamin.
"And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it." (Mosiah 2:41)

True happiness comes through our Savior, through following the teachings of Jesus Christ.
So, who are you serving?

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful insight. :) I love seeing your growth and reading your testimony! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible. Thank you for that wake-up call! I think what I struggle with the most is not consciously serving Christ, not making a daily effort to serve Him with my whole heart. You are so eloquent, Sister Harris :) And I love you.

    ReplyDelete